Why go store-bought when you could go with this classic and delicious sauce? (Bonus: it freezes great!)
Ingredients You'll Need
- 2 lbs. Meridian extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped & divided
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bell pepper, seeded & chopped
- 1 can (355g) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 2 cans (355g ea.) diced tomatoes
- 2 cans (794g ea.) crushed tomatoes
- 250g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 tsp. dried basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add 2 cups of onions, and sauté until slightly browned. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add beef, and cook, breaking into small pieces, until no longer pink. Drain excess grease.
- Add bell pepper into pot with beef and onions.
- Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and thyme. Cook for 1 minute, stirring until combined.
- Add diced and crushed tomatoes, mushrooms, beef broth, and sugar. Stir and add bay leaves.
- Bring sauce to a boil, and then reduce to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar, and let sauce rest for 10-15 minutes before serving.